I had to run MySql database without installation and it took a little bit of effort to make it work. Here are the steps I performed for running MySql without going through installation (noinstall):
- Download Zip Archive (Community Edition) from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/
- Unzip the archive and go to the bin folder.
- Initialize MySql database: Run the following on Command Prompt (cmd) while being in the bin folder. This creates data folder with database files.
- Start server with unrestricted access to the full database.
mysqld --console --skip-grant-tables
- Reset password for root user
- Restart server in normal mode.
- Connect using client
mysql -u root -p
Enter the password (MyNewPass) when prompted
- Execute your queries on mysql prompt (mysql>).
Please note that this works for version 5.7, but may or may not apply to other versions.
In order to connect to MySql from the application, download the relevant connector from MySql Connectors. For instance, JDBC driver (connector) for connecting from Java application is available at Connector/J.